|Director of Communications|
Company: Bellingham Technical College
Location: Bellingham, WA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 05/25/2022
Expire Date: 07/25/2022
Job Categories: Education
Director of Communications|
BELLINGHAM TECHNICAL COLLEGE invites applications for the position of:
Director of Communications
PRIORITY CONSIDERATION BY:
07/21/2022 05:00 PM
Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14, all state employees, including higher education must be fully vaccinated no later than October 18, 2021. Your vaccine status will be verified prior to final offer. Please reach out to the HR Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need information on a medical or religious accommodation.
Bellingham Technical College is a leading educational institution, and the only technical college, in northwest Washington State. BTC offers high-quality education in a supportive, student-first environment and has been providing skills-focused education to thousands of local and regional students since 1957.
At our vibrant campus, conveniently located in the heart of Bellingham, about 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, BC, we educate a diverse population of over 8,000 students in more than 30 associate degree and 40 certificate, and two baccalaureate in applied science programs.
BTC students prepare for careers in many fields, from advanced manufacturing to accounting; process technology to pastry; registered nursing to radiologic technology.
BTC is committed to creating and maintaining a welcoming campus that supports diversity, promotes a sense of community, provides an effective work and learning environment, and encourages respect for individuals. As an Equal Opportunity employer, BTC values diversity and aims to recruit employees that reflect the diverse backgrounds of our community, including ethnicity, national origin, religion, race, gender, gender identity, age, status as a veteran or disabled veteran, disability, political status, and sexual orientation. The successful candidate will be expected to establish a successful and supportive learning environment for a diverse college student population with a wide-range of backgrounds and experiences.
Bellingham Technical College (BTC) invites applications for one full-time professional exempt position as a Director of Communications. This is an exempt, non-represented position, is Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) exempt from overtime, and is at-will. This position reports to the Executive President. The position is anticipated to start in August 2022.
Under general direction, and with oversight from the College President, the Director of Communications will serve as the college’s Public Information Officer and coordinate communication in a targeted and cohesive manner with BTC’s various constituent groups that may include prospective students and parents, employees, alumni/ae, the BTC Board of Trustees, Foundation Board members, friends and benefactors of the college, media, peer institutions, industry spokespeople, government officials and community organizations. The Director will also lead initiatives in communication planning, media and industry relations, strategic marketing, and new media technologies.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Note: the examples of work are not necessarily descriptive of all work for this position. The intent of this description is to give a general indication of the levels of responsibility, knowledge, skills, training, experience and complexity required to perform the work of the position. The omission of specific duties or tasks does not preclude management from assigning additional duties or tasks not listed.
• Serving as the Public Information Officer for the college;
• Developing, managing, and evaluating a comprehensive and data-informed communications plan in collaboration with all areas of the college, including Instruction, Student Services, and Institutional Planning and Advancement;
• Managing, producing, and writing copy for print and digital publications; including message development, article/topic selection, research, writing, editing, and vendor deliverables;
• Developing and continuously refreshing web content (e.g., information, news, images) and administering the website content management system for the college in close collaboration with Computer Information and Support Services and other key stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate web content updates.
• Leading and participating in working groups with constituency groups to plan, coordinate, and execute original communications, products, and publications related to college programs and key initiatives via informational brochures, quarterly schedules, annual catalogs, articles, reports, and other appropriate media;
• Coordinating and managing the integrity of the college’s visual presence, brand identity, logo, and graphic standards; and
• Utilizing relevant media and networking tools to better connect with prospective and current students and community partners.
• Managing the execution of proactive media outreach communications with television, print, radio, and internet media, including preparation of news advisories, news releases, and articles;
• Targeting and coordinating media opportunities that will maximize the college’s visibility and cultivating relationships with members of the media at the local, state, and national levels;
• Staying current on and implementing culturally responsive communication, including engaging in cultural humility and learning;
• Working with administrative staff in planning and coordinating media events such as news conferences, site tours, and public presentations.
• Preparing and monitoring annual communications budget with anticipated revenues and expenditures;
• Preparing and monitoring contracts;
• Supervising the Graphic Designer and any other clerical, temporary, and/or student staff members;
• Serving on college and statewide governance and operational committees; and
• Performing related duties as required.
• Bachelor’s Degree or demonstrated work experience in a similar position;
• Demonstrated success in communications, marketing and public relations;
• Effective written, oral, interpersonal, and intercultural communication skills;
• Collaborative leadership style with an ability to work with multiple constituencies and people of diverse backgrounds;
• Demonstrated commitment to culturally responsive communication, including cultural humility and ongoing learning;
• Experience with office applications, such as Microsoft Office or Google Suite, and multiple online and social media platforms;
• Ability to manage, and work independently and simultaneously on, multiple projects with close, overlapping, and/or conflicting deadlines;
• Experience supervising other staff;
• Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
• A Bachelor's degree or higher in marketing, communications, journalism or public relations;
• Experience with crisis communications;
• Progressively responsible, direct work experience developing, implementing, and leading communications initiatives within a complex organization;
• Graphic and web design knowledge or desktop publishing experience with knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite;
• Professional experience in post-secondary education;
• Experience using multiple data sources to support institutional quality, improvement, and evidence-based decision-making.
Work Environment: This position performs work in a standard office setting, uses standard office equipment, and attends meetings physically, both on and off campus, and remotely through platforms such as Zoom/Teams. This position interacts directly and frequently with employees, students and community members. This position requires frequent use of computers and exposure to terminal screens; frequent oral, written and auditory communication with others; working in an open office environment with frequent interruptions and distractions; and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. Ability to travel and work weekends and evenings when appropriate or needed is required.
Compensation and Work Schedule: Effective July 1, 2022, full-time salary is $8,243 per month ($98,916 per year). Position also receives sick, personal and vacation leave accruals, paid state holidays, Washington State insurance and retirement benefits package, and some tuition waiver benefits.
Work schedule will vary but is generally Monday through Friday, during the 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. workday, about 40 hours per week; however, schedule may vary including working more than 40 hours as needed, as well as some weekends and evening work. The position will be expected to work onsite full-time with possibility of remote work in the future. Currently, candidate must be willing to work both remote and on-site. The Director may be required to travel and work outside of regular business hours.
Condition of Employment: Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14, effective October 18, 2021, all employees at BTC must be COVID-19 vaccinated, unless an approved medical or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved.
Application Procedures and Deadline: Required application materials must be completed and submitted online at http://www.btc.edu/jobs and received by 5 p.m. on June 30, 2022. Application materials received after this date and time may be considered until the position is filled. More information about Bellingham Technical College is at www.btc.edu; email the Human Resources Office at email@example.com or call 360 752-8354. BTC is not currently sponsoring H1-B Visa's.
Required Online Application Materials: (Attachments in Word or PDF file)
• Complete the Online BTC Employment Application;
• Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how you are prepared to meet the duties of the position;
• Diversity statement that addresses how you have committed to equity and inclusion in the past and how you will ensure your marketing campaigns are inclusive of diverse populations;
• Current resume;
• Three writing samples that include at least one of the following; press release sample, ideally from a published media outlet, internal memo or publication, speech, marketing plan, digital marketing plan.
Initial on-line interviews are scheduled to be held mid-July, 2022. Finalists will be asked to return for second interviews.
PLEASE NOTE: BTC continues to operate mostly remotely. Until further notice, interviews are conducted via phone or video conferencing (Zoom). If you are asked to come to campus for in-person interviews, BTC social distancing protocols will be in place.
BTC is following CDC and Washington State Department of Health (DOH) guidance regarding social distancing. Additional BTC updates and resources.
The application package and all materials submitted with it become the property of the college and will not be returned or considered for additional or future openings.
Mission: Bellingham Technical College provides student-centered, high-quality professional technical education for today's needs and tomorrow's opportunities.
Employment Eligibility Verification: Bellingham Technical College employs only United States citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the Department of Homeland Security.
Non Discrimination/Equal Opportunity: Bellingham Technical College does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, genetic information, or age in admission, treatment, or participation in its programs, services and activities, or in employment. All Inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievance procedures should be directed to the Interim Executive Director of Human Resources, Bellingham Technical College, 3028 Lindbergh Avenue, Bellingham, WA 98225; (360) 752-8354; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disability Accommodations: Upon request, accommodations are available to persons with disabilities for the application process. Contact Human Resources at (360) 752-8354; email email@example.com.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/btc 3028 Lindbergh Avenue Bellingham, WA 98225 360 752-8354 firstname.lastname@example.org
Position #2022-00017 DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS TW