|Open rank faculty position in Costume Technology|
Company: The University of Texas at Austin
Location: Austin, TX
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 12/08/2021
Expire Date: 02/08/2022
Job Categories: Arts, Entertainment, and Media, Education, Collegiate Faculty, Staff, Administration
Open rank faculty position in Costume Technology|
The Department of Theatre and Dance at the University of Texas at Austin is hiring a full-time, open rank faculty member to lead our nationally-recognized graduate program in Costume Technology.
We seek visionary applicants interested in creating and teaching an innovative curriculum that features foundational knowledge in costume technology alongside opportunities for experimentation and innovation. The successful candidate will employ culturally-responsive and interdisciplinary methods of teaching and creating, and show evidence of a sustained engagement in original scholarship and/or creative practice.
Costume Technology is part of UT Austin’s dynamic Live Design and Production area. Faculty in this area cross traditional boundaries of design, performance, fabrication, and technology to also focus on new work in areas of live performance and related fields of film, broadcast, themed entertainment, gaming, concert, event, and exhibit. Live Design and Production faculty intersect with undergraduate and graduate programs in the areas of Acting, Dance, Drama and Theatre for Youth and Communities (DTYC), Theatre and Dance Education, Performance as Public Practice (PPP), and Playwriting and Directing. Together, our faculty are committed to supporting the development of dynamic and critically engaged artist-citizens.
Our future colleague in costume technology will help us innovate one of the largest university theatre and dance communities in the country, with 50 full-time faculty and staff, 400 undergraduate students, and 70 graduate students. We aim to create the most intellectually diverse, inclusive and equitable department possible by cultivating a community of faculty, staff, and students that includes the experiences and expertise of historically-underrepresented traditions and perspectives. The University of Texas at Austin has been designated a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and we fully engage in the University’s mission to foster a community that values diversity and inclusion as necessary elements of a world-class educational environment. We enthusiastically welcome applicants whose teaching and professional practice demonstrates inclusive excellence.
Rank, tenure status, and salary commensurate with experience. Minimum salary: $80,000. The position requires residency in Austin, TX. Start Date: August 2022.
Review of applications will begin on January 19, 2022. The position will remain open until filled.
To apply for the position, please submit the following documents to Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/99802
• An ongoing record of excellence in costume technology
• A terminal degree in costume technology or a related field is expected, but outstanding professional experience will be considered.
• A minimum of two years of mentoring or teaching experience with demonstrated activities that foster diversity, equity, and inclusion to support students or mentees from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in professional practice.
• Experience in draping and tailoring, and at least three additional areas, such as: Textile Arts and Manipulation, Costume Crafts, Digital Fabrication, Puppetry and/or Mascot, and/or other related areas of innovation/specialization
• Experience teaching at the college or university level
• Experience creating and teaching graduate curriculum
• Ability to teach unique electives in areas such as puppetry, mask-making, costume lighting, surface design, millinery, wigs, make-up, costume shop management, and other courses rooted in the candidate’s expertise.
• Demonstrated academic activity that advances diversity, equity, and inclusion in order to support students from diverse backgrounds.