|DATABASE ARCHITECT RESEARCH & DATA ANALYSIS DEPARTMENT|
Company: Advancement Project
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 07/29/2021
Expire Date: 09/29/2021
Job Categories: Agriculture, Forestry, & Fishing
DATABASE ARCHITECT RESEARCH & DATA ANALYSIS DEPARTMENT|
Remote, U.S. or On-site, Los Angeles, CA
Advancement Project California is seeking an experienced Database Architect (“Architect”). The ideal candidate should have at least two years of nonprofit, philanthropic or governmental experience focused on key social and racial justice issues. The Architect will report to the Associate Director of Research & Data Analysis and is responsible for building databases, producing application programming interfaces (APIs), and developing prototypes of interactive data visualizations. They will work closely with Research & Data Analysts to gather, structure, and visualize data for a variety of organizational projects and initiatives like RACE COUNTS and HealthyCity.org, as well as for community-based, government and foundation initiatives.
The successful candidate must have a strong, demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice, strong documentation skills, a track record of overseeing multiple streams of work at the same time and be comfortable working in a fast-paced and changing landscape of priorities and responsibilities. A strong attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines are required.
Specific Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
• Design and build databases, APIs, and prototype visualizations for Advancement Project California program areas, strategic initiatives, and partners.
• Work with Research & Data Analysts to gather, clean, structure, and analyze data.
• Scrape data from websites and documents.
• Support the work of the Communications Department as it builds front-end web and communications messaging platforms based on databases, APIs, and prototypes.
• Collaborate with staff and external partners to design and deploy the most effective research and data analysis products to move policy for more equitable outcomes.
• Participate in organization-wide planning, development, and communication activities, as needed.
• Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
$85,000 - $100,000 depending on experience. Includes full health, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.
Please send an email with subject "DA Application" and a cover letter, resume, and work sample in one PDF attachment titled Lastname_Firstname_da.pdf (e.g., Jimenez_Jorge_da.pdf) to:
Director of Human Resources, Finance and Administration
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Sincere and demonstrated commitment to advancing social and/or racial justice progress for the highest-need communities.
• A minimum of two years of professional experience as a database architect or programmer, including a record of producing databases, APIs, and interactive data visualizations.
• Professional experience scraping data from public websites.
• Demonstrated experience with geographic information systems and/or PostGIS.
• Competency with SQL and PostgreSQL highly required.
• Awareness of AWS, Apache, and NGINX server maintenance desired.
• Experience with WordPress development desired.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential job duties may be considered.
• In-depth knowledge of California public datasets desired.
• A high degree of diplomacy, professionalism, sensitivity, and respect for the confidentiality of certain data and projects are required.
• Proven ability to work with diverse communities, leaders, and staff, including ability to support research analysts in building effective data visualizations.
• A strong attention to detail is required.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Competency in statistics is required. Familiarity with social science and social justice research.
• Ability to take on responsibilities independently with only general supervision.
• Ability to multi-task under deadlines and work well under pressure.
• Excellent computer skills, a demonstrated ability to learn new software, and proficiency with MS Office applications.
• Must be able to travel locally and statewide
Company Name: Advancement Project
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Organizational Background: Advancement Project California champions the struggle for greater equity and opportunity for all, fostering upward mobility in communities most impacted by economic and racial injustice. We build alliances and trust, use data-driven policy solutions, create innovative tools and work alongside communities to ignite social transformation. Rooted in the historic struggle for racial and economic equality, Advancement Project California envisions a world where all communities have equitable access to public resources and opportunities to thrive. The California office’s primary programs are Educational Equity, Equity in Community Investments, and Political Voice