|•||Job Seeker Tools|
|•||Your Saved Jobs|
|•||Build Your Professional Profile|
|Accounting Assistant - Accounts Payable|
Company: Shelton State Community College
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 06/14/2021
Expire Date: 08/14/2021
Job Categories: Accounting/Auditing
Accounting Assistant - Accounts Payable |
Position closing date: All application packets must be received by the Office of Human Resources of Shelton State Community College by 5:00 p.m. on July 6, 2021, or if mailed, must be postmarked by said date.
Position: Accounting Assistant – Accounts Payable
Position Summary: The Accounting Assistant - Accounts Payable is to assist the Accounts Manager in preparing, auditing and maintaining documentation for accounts payable. The Accounting Assistant will receive, process, verify, and reconcile invoices in order to assist the Accounts Manager with completing payments.
Salary Range: $36,025 - $50,882 based upon the Alabama Community College System and Shelton State Community College Salary Schedule E3-4 to be determined by the applicant’s education and years of applicable experience. Applicant acknowledges that if selected for the position that applicant’s placement on the applicable salary schedule will be dependent upon the verified information provided by the applicant in accordance with the applicable work experience verification requirements stated in the official job posting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Enter approved invoices into the Banner computer system for payment, taking allowable discounts
• Pay vendors by monitoring discount opportunities, verifying Federal ID numbers, and scheduling, preparing, and mailing checks
• Resolve purchase order, contract, invoice, and/or payment discrepancies and document
• Ensure proper credit is received for outstanding credit memos
• Contact vendors with questions or concerns about invoices, as well as answer inquiries when received
• Review all invoices for appropriate documentation, making sure proper account coding is used and proper approval signatures are obtained
• Perform all check runs (payables, payroll, refunds, and manual)
• Assist in processing monthly sales tax report for city, county, and state
• Create all new vendors to be used in the Banner system according to Alabama Community College System Banner Data Standards
• Maintain all accounts payable records – check vouchers, check registers, and approval registers
• Run outstanding purchase order report and verify quarterly to outstanding purchase orders on file
• Assemble a copy of the check, purchase order and invoice, and file in numerical order by check number in the accounts payable file
• Assist in procedure to open and process all incoming mail for the accounts payable department
• Assist with entering purchase orders and answering departmental questions
• Request and maintain file of vendor disclosure statements
• Void and reissue checks when necessary
• Prepare various journal entries monthly, such as postage usage and Copy Center charges for both Martin and Fredd campuses
• Assist with clearing incomplete document listing
• Process purchase order change orders as needed
• Check daily deposits in the Cashier’s Office as scheduled on a regular basis
• Scan all necessary Accounts Payable documents including vendor disclosure statements, W9 Forms, check vouchers, and invoices
• Assist with annual 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC review and processing
• Assist with student registration as assigned by supervisor
• Assist with records retention and disposal
• Facilitate the timely and effective flow of campus communications and documents
• Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrate the highest standards of confidentiality, ethics, loyalty, honesty and integrity
• Complete assigned projects in a timely and systematic manner
• Maintain a filing system using standard records management procedures
• Work well under pressure and with others to meet deadlines
• Use standard office equipment effectively which may be required to complete your responsibilities. Examples include fax machines, scanners, copiers, and calculators
• Work independently on difficult and complex tasks
• Comply with policies of the Alabama Community College System and the College
• Serve on College committees as required
• Participate in professional development, compliance, performance excellence, and training activities required
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Shelton State Community College employment announcements and applications are available at sheltonstate.edu or by contacting the Office of Human Resources at 205.391.2272 or hr @ sheltonstate.edu. The submission of a complete packet by the deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant. No previous application files will be transferred for consideration of this position. No copies will be given of the application information submitted. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements to work in the U.S. at the time of appointment and must travel at their own expense.
A completed application packet consists of the following:
• A cover letter of application specifically detailing and relating the applicant’s education, and experience to the qualifications, duties, and responsibilities of the position.
• A hand signed Shelton State Community College employment application. Failure to hand sign the employment application will remove the applicant from consideration.
• A current resume.
• Copies of high school diploma or GED, or postsecondary transcript(s) identifying the applicant, institution, and verifying degree(s) earned that demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum educational requirements for the position. If employed, official transcripts must be received in the Office of Human Resources prior to the employment start date.
Application materials may be mailed, emailed, or hand delivered to the following:
Office of Human Resources
Shelton State Community College
9500 Old Greensboro Road
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405
hr @ sheltonstate.edu
No faxed applications will be accepted. If you have questions, please call 205-391-2272.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
WORK EXPERIENCE VERIFICATION:
Meeting Minimum Requirements: If the requirements for a position list work experience in a field or area the Applicant must provide written verification(s) of their applicable work experience in order to be hired for the position. Such written verification(s) of work experience must demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum work experience requirement. Applicants who do not produce this information as indicated will be ineligible for hire and subject to having any offer of employment withdrawn.
Salary Calculation: For all positions on all Salary Schedules, the salary amount for the selected applicant is determined by step placement on the applicable schedule. Step placement is dependent upon the following: (a) all work experience in public education in Alabama and (b) all other work experience outside of public education in Alabama that, in the sole judgment of the College, directly relates to the requirements of the position. The applicant selected for the position must provide written verification(s) of this work experience within the time provided herein if such experience is to be considered in determining their initial step place on the Salary Schedule.
Format for Work Experience Verifications: Work experience verifications should be in the form of verification letters from employers and must include complete employment dates, job title(s), job duties, and an indication whether such employment was full-time or part-time, and if part-time, the average number of hours worked each week. The letters should be on official letterhead and contain an authorized personnel signature. The College’s official employment verification form is also acceptable and is available upon request. If an employment verification cannot be obtained due to a legitimate reason, for purposes of meeting minimum requirements an applicant may submit copies of other trustworthy documentation such as appointment letters, contracts, pay stubs, or W-2 forms documenting the term of employment. However, such documentation is generally insufficient for salary calculation purposes if job duties are not self-evident in the documentation.
Deadline for Producing Work Experience Verification: With limited exception, work experience verification documentation must be produced prior to any official offer of employment. Work experience verification from a current employer may, upon request, be delayed until an official offer of employment. Any offer of employment at a salary step greater than zero (0), or made without prior verification of any required work experience, is contingent upon production of this documentation by the applicant within ten (10) days of the offer.
It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to provide this verification of work experience. The College is not responsible for any cost associated with such verifications.
• High school diploma or GED
• Three (3) years of accounts payable experience
• Associate Degree from a regionally accredited institution
• Five (5) years or more of accounts payable experience
• Experience with Banner and/or Evisions IntelleCheck