Company: The Sentry
Location: Remote (Washington DC), DC
Employment Type: Part Time
Date Posted: 03/04/2021
Expire Date: 05/04/2021
Job Categories: Arts, Entertainment, and Media, Insurance, Other, Counseling, Executive Management, Nonprofit and Volunteer Services, Writing/Authoring
Position: General Counsel, The Sentry
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Part-time, Non-exempt
Reports to: Chief of Staff, The Sentry
Position Summary: The General Counsel oversees the legal issues and relevant legal operations of The Sentry. The General Counsel reports to the Chief of Staff and the co-Founder and is responsible for ensuring both are apprised of ongoing risks and and directly involved in decision-making; the General Counsel works closely with the entire senior management team. The General Counsel handles legal issues directly as well as coordinates and manages advice and assistance from outside counsel.
In the future, it is expected that the incumbent will advise on the legal issues attendant to the evolution of the organizational structure toward a single, stand-alone organization as well as an organization with a more formal presence outside of the United States.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
– Review of Sentry publications for potential legal risks and coordination of legal processes associated with report publication
– Management of ongoing legal issues, including those arising with respect to:
Media law and defamation; Employment; Privacy; Insurance; Other issues associated with nonprofit management
– Management of pre-litigation and litigation processes
– Coordination of relationships with external counsel
– Responsibility for review of contracts and other legal documents
– Contribute to the process of migrating the organization from a fiscally-sponsored project into a single, stand-alone organization and expansion of geographic presence
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “General Counsel” in the subject line of your email.
The Sentry is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. The Sentry’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Required Skills and Experience:
– Excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills
– Law degree and relevant professional legal experience, including with nonprofit organizations or entities involved in investigations
– Experience engaging with dynamic and evolving teams
– Experience managing and evaluating complex legal and security issues, including in potential crisis situations
– Able to maintain patience and presence in fast-moving environment
Preferred Substantive Knowledge and Experience:
– Knowledge of key issues and concepts related to corruption, illicit finance, and conflict
– Knowledge of legal issues related to the conduct and publication of investigations, including defamation, insurance, and related issues
– Knowledge of legal systems outside the United States
Company Name: The Sentry
Contact Email: email@example.com
The Sentry is an investigative and policy team that follows the dirty money connected to African war criminals and transnational war profiteers and seeks to shut those benefiting from violence out of the international financial system. By disrupting the cost-benefit calculations of those who hijack governments for self-enrichment, we seek to counter the main drivers of conflict and create new leverage for peace, human rights, and good governance. The Sentry is composed of financial investigators, international human rights lawyers, and regional experts, as well as former law enforcement agents, intelligence officers, policymakers, investigative journalists, and banking professionals. Co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast, The Sentry is a strategic partner of the Clooney Foundation for Justice. Within East and Central Africa, which loses billions of dollars a year in illicit financial outflows, mainly from its extraordinary natural resource wealth, The Sentry focuses primarily on the conflict zone spanning Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and the Central African Republic. We aim to create significant financial consequences for kleptocrats, war criminals, and their international financial facilitators through network sanctions, anti-money laundering measures, prosecutions, compliance actions by banks and other private companies, asset recovery, and other tools of economic and legal pressure. The Sentry engages intensively with policymakers, law enforcement officials, global banks, tech and mining companies, and other private sector entities around the world. We also support activist campaigns involving students, faith-based groups, celebrities, human rights organizations, and other concerned constituencies.