Looking for a Career in Higher Education? Check out This Opportunity for a Director of Research Administration at NC State!
NOTICE: This content is in pending status and not visible to those without the url...
Posted By: Will Moss on November 06, 2020 |
Working Title Director of Research Administration
Anticipated Pay Range $83,000 - $96,000
Work Schedule Monday to Friday, 8-5pm, may vary based upon programmatic deadlines
Job Location Raleigh, NC
About the Department
A great place to work. NC State University scores high marks as a great place to work, according to a survey conducted by Forbes. The annual survey of America’s best employers by state places NC State in ninth place in North Carolina, well ahead of its rival institutions in the Triangle.
The Wilson College of Textiles is recognized as the #1 Textiles Institution in the world. We strive to be the global leader in textile innovation, supporting a culture of creativity and curiosity while advancing environmental stewardship and economic sustainability.
Our award-winning faculty excel at innovative teaching and conduct life-changing research. We’re leading the Pack on smart and high performance textiles, advanced analytics, consumer behavior and more. Our college has supported the formation of interdisciplinary teams to address society’s textile-related grand challenges, from how we protect our armed forces and first responders and advance technologies for sustainable fashion, to how we filter the air we breathe and water we drink. Our college faculty have established groundbreaking interdisciplinary centers and institutes: The Nonwovens Institute and the Textile Protection and Comfort Center. The Zeis Textiles Extension department is meeting a high-demand for professional training and fabrication and testing services by offering programs for entrepreneurs and start-up companies as well as multinational corporations.
The Wilson College of Textiles offers unparalleled hands-on, science-based textile education through two departments, Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management and Textile Engineering, Chemistry and Science. Students receive one-on-one mentoring from award-winning faculty and conduct both undergraduate and graduate research in more than 200,000 square feet of state-of-the-art teaching, research, manufacturing and collaborative spaces. Students gain valuable work experience through summer internships, embark on international experiences across 30 countries and six continents, and leverage academic and experiential real world learning experiences via our industry partnerships and a 9,000-person strong alumni network.
Essential Job Duties
The Director of Research Administration (D-RA) leads and manages the college’s research operations and compliance with federal regulations, state law, funding agency regulations, and related policies and regulations of NC State.
The Director oversees, guides, educates and assists administrative processes for faculty, staff and students in areas of research compliance which currently include: pre-award and post-award administration and proposal development services, responsible conduct of research, conflicts of interest, export control, and other related compliance areas.
The Director’s leadership role, which will involve 2 direct reports, comprises the establishment of strategies, priorities, policies and procedures for the administration of research, both pre- and post-award. The Director is expected, through strong leadership and mentoring, to provide access to professional development opportunities and growth to the research office team. This position is charged, in collaboration with the Associate Dean for Research, with maintaining standards that are essential for the conduct of legal and ethical research. In partnership with the Office of Research Innovation, the Director works closely with faculty and students to ensure compliance in all aspects of their research and scholarly projects. The Director serves as primary campus representative on the University’s Research Advisor Council.
The Director is a part of the Extended Dean’s Council for the college and reports directly to the Associate Dean for Research. The Director of Research Administration is key to leading a cross functional team to deliver innovative and sustainable solutions to build customer-centric practices and framework via close collaboration with the Finance and Human Resources teams.
– Oversee the management of Contracts and Grants expenditures exceeding $5M dollars (for FY20).
– Administrative review and acceptance of proposals and solicitations of over $32M.
– Report quarterly and annual sponsored activity.
– Report to ASEE/US News & World and NSF HERD Reports annually.
– Review Testing/Fabrication Service Agreements and Service Orders.
– Manage proposal processing efforts, with Sponsored Programs and Regulatory Compliance Services SPARCS.
– Negotiate contracts.
– Oversee Employee Activity Reporting System (TEARS).
– Collaborate with other D-RAs and central offices to develop and implement best practices for pre and post award management.
– Maintain delegated signature authority for proposal submissions. Under this environment, continuing education is absolutely critical and NC State has made it mandatory for all signatory delegates.
– Develop and deliver training for both pre-award and post-award services to research active employees and students in the following areas: compliance, cost accounting standards, electronic research applications (both University and
– Federal applications) and interpretation of policies, laws, and activities of the college’s research office
– Ensure that new award meetings are set-up at the time of award notification, and that all necessary monitoring reports, college-level approvals, and justifications of grant and contract budgets are obtained in a timely manner in the appropriate electronic systems during the life of a sponsored project. This position will oversee the monitoring and tracking of cost share, effort certification, conflict of interest, and NSF Responsible Conduct of Research Compliance related to sponsored research to ensure timely and accurate close-out of awards.
Minimum Experience and Education
Bachelor’s degree or extensive experience in research administration is required, a master’s degree is desirable. Experience in proposal review and oversight and in the fiscal and administrative management of complex agreements and relationships with external research sponsors is also necessary.
Other Required Qualifications
-5+ years demonstrated experience working in research management office
-Strong organizational, management and communication skills.
-Candidates must demonstrate successful experience in cultivating partnerships with faculty, senior administrators and external research sponsor officials.
– Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
– Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
– Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines and function independently with limited supervision and guidance.
– Ability to work with faculty and staff from multiple disciplines and functions across the college.
– High regard for confidentiality.
– Experience in the proposal review and oversight and fiscal and administrative management of complex agreements and relationships with external research sponsors.
– Understanding and appreciation for the partnerships between research administration, development and advancement, human and fiscal resource organizations, faculty, and external research sponsors.
Credentials as a Certified Research Administrator (CRA).
Required License(s) or Certification(s)
- Current professional certification such as a Certified Public Accountant or eligibility to sit and pass the Certified Research Administrator’s exam or comparable relevant professional certification.
To Apply Goto: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/136871
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
More From This Author
|As More High Profile HBCU Leaders Support COVID19 Vaccinations - Do You Plan to Get the Vaccination?|
|Microsoft Partners with HBCU CONNECT to Hire Black Software Engineers thru Special Hiring Event - Jan 21st!|
|HBCU Grad (Morgan State University), Yogananda Pittman Named Acting Chief of Capitol Police in Wake of Capitol Riot|
Latest Career Content
Popular Career Content