Utilities Maintenance Specialist
Job Summary: Performs routine preventive and corrective maintenance on a variety of mechanical components, vehicle, buildings & grounds, and equipment found in water and wastewater facilities; performs other duties as assigned.
1. Troubleshoot and perform preventive and corrective maintenance on all equipment in wastewater systems;
2. Disassemble, rebuild, and reassemble motors, valves, pumps, gearboxes, etc. to rehabilitate equipment. Check out and evaluate operation of equipment after rebuild is complete,
3. Performs electrical work including but not limited to connecting and disconnecting wires and performs corrective and preventive maintenance on all electrical systems and electrical supply circuits;
4. Rehabilitates wastewater stations with new pumps, piping, rails, etc.,
5. Request the purchase of parts, equipment, and services needed to perform repairs;
6. Assist with preventive and corrective maintenance on generators in the water and wastewater systems;
7. Performs welding and cutting work to complete repairs and fabricate parts for bracing/repairs in the water and wastewater systems;
8. Performs preventive maintenance on equipment used in wastewater collection and treatment systems, such as motors, pumps, valves, and gearboxes. Some duties will require entering confined spaces.
9. Participates in troubleshooting and corrective maintenance on equipment used in wastewater collection and treatment systems, duties include disassembling, rebuilding and re-assembling motors, pumps, valves and gearboxes.
10. Participates in the replacement and rehabilitation of grinder pumps and wastewater pumping stations, including gathering data for planning, removing and installing new pumps, piping valves and pumps rails.
11. Responds to customer and emergency calls regarding sewage grinder pumps, sewer backups and wastewater collection system issues.
12. Performs regularly scheduled after-hours standby.
13. Performs sewer line, service lines, and wet well preventive and corrective maintenance, including but not limited to jet-rodding, vacuuming, power snaking and minor repairs, and using Vactor truck as necessary.
14. Maintains and operates trucks and equipment used for sewer line maintenance.
15. Performs welding and cutting work on various types of metal including mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum in order to fabricate parts to repair water and wastewater systems.
16. Documents all maintenance activities in asset management database.
17. Oversees grinder pump replacement projects including pumping out old grinder pump vaults and ensuring new pumps are in proper working condition.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to gain working knowledge of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission policies
2. Ability to act as a representative of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission to the public;
3. Knowledge of relevant maintenance and repair practices and procedures as they relate to mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems and equipment, diesel and gas operated equipment, and hydronic boiler systems;
4. Knowledge of safety regulations and established procedures for operating, repairing, removing and installing equipment/materials as well as for ensuring safety;
5. Ability to effectively communicate with other staff members and the public;
6. Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records;
7. Ability to wear appropriate PPE for confined space entry including respiratory gear.
8. Ability to obtain Maryland CDL Driver’s License within 6 months.
Education and Experience:
1. HS Diploma or GED
2. Valid MD Driver’s License:
3. Eligible to obtain Maryland Class B CDL with Tanker and Air Brake Endorsements within 6 months.
The St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission (MetCom) is a quasi-governmental agency that provides water and sewer services for residents and businesses in St. Mary’s County, Maryland. MetCom has a customer base of over 17,000 and exceeds $20 million in annual revenues.
MetCom is located in historic St. Mary’s County, the birthplace of Maryland. St. Mary’s County is situated on a peninsula in Southern Maryland with over 500 miles of shoreline on the Patuxent River, Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay. Home to Patuxent River Naval Air Station, St. Mary’s College and great seafood, the area is a true destination for raising a family, building a career or simply enjoying the pleasures of outdoor life. The County’s location allows for easy access to major metropolitan areas, while offering residents a high quality of life and affordable lifestyles.
The Metropolitan Commission is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic covered by law.